Useful ideas

10 common products for us that may harm your pet

Our pets learn the world through tastes and smells.

But seemingly harmless food can be toxic to animals.

We have collected the most common products that can badly affect the health of your pets.

Onion and garlic

Vegetables from the onion genus (onions, garlic, leeks, wild garlic) contain N-propyl disulfide - a substance that destroys red blood cells, resulting in anemia. In severe cases, anemia leads to serious damage to internal organs.

Symptoms of poisoning are as follows: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain and heart palpitations. The period of symptoms lasts from days to several days.

Lilies

Lily is a beautiful flower. But for animals it is deadly. Some members of the family of lilies can cause a strong nephrotoxic effect when ingested. The substances found in all parts of the lily, including the pistils and stamens, are toxic to the kidneys.

The main signs of lily poisoning include loss of appetite, vomiting, increased urination, heavy drooling.

Grapes and raisins

Only 15 grams of grapes can poison a 5-kilogram dog! They negatively affect the kidneys of animals. If the pet already has health problems, then the grapes can trigger kidney failure. In healthy animals, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite and vomiting are observed.

Coffee and chocolate

Coffee and chocolate contain substances dangerous to cats and dogs. Even in small quantities, they cause vomiting. Dark chocolate contains more dangerous substances than milk chocolate, and the effect of poisoning is stronger.

Caffeine can cause frequent urination, dehydration, arrhythmia, problems with the pancreas, and high blood pressure.

Tubular bones

The tubular bones themselves are not poison, but no less health problems from them. When crushed, they turn into small fragments that can damage the esophagus or get stuck in the throat.

Once in the body, the bones are cut with the sharp edges of the larynx, stomach and intestines. This can lead to peritonitis, which is extremely dangerous.

Apples

Unlike green, red apples cause allergies, itching and burning in dogs. But not the apples themselves are dangerous, but their bones. Bones of apples, cherries and apricots contain cyanide. In small doses, it is harmless to humans, but it is dangerous for our smaller brothers. Vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration are the first symptoms of apple pits poisoning. It is better not to engage in home treatment, and consult a doctor.

Tomatoes

Virtually all members of the family Solanaceae are poisonous to one degree or another. They contain toxic solanine. For people, only unripe raw tomatoes can be dangerous, but for four-legged ones, they are also ripe. Make sure that the animal does not get enough of tomato tops: it is also poisonous. A harmless dose of tomatoes for a dog that is on a natural diet is one piece per week.

Solanine causes arousal, and then depression of the nervous system, gastrointestinal disorders, decomposition of red blood cells.

Raw eggs

Raw eggs are not the most useful food for people. We all heard about salmonellosis. It is as dangerous for pets as it is for humans. In addition, egg whites contain avidin, which can stop the body from absorbing B vitamins.

Avocado

Avocado contains Persin - a fungicidal toxin. For a person, only the bone is toxic, and for cats and dogs the whole fetus is dangerous. Persin causes problems with the digestive tract, breathing and even with the heart.

Ice cream

The composition of ice cream includes milk and sugar. Most adult animals are lactose intolerant. As a result, loose stools, vomiting and gastrointestinal problems are observed. Sugar can cause problems with teeth and gums, and it also stimulates and then depresses the nervous system.

Take care of our smaller brothers and monitor their health! If your pet is poisoned, immediately take it to the vet and do not try to cure it yourself.