Drawings on the kitchen wall can be both very complex and very simple in execution. The complexity of the work depends on your drawing skills, the method or technique you choose, the size and detail of the image.
But in any case, you need to understand that wall painting is as important as the choice of wallpaper or paint, because it can either instantly transform the interior, or spoil it, “overload”, or just quickly get you bored.
But the correctly chosen and high-quality wall painting can zone the space, the spacious kitchen will make a more intimate, small kitchen in a typical house will give uniqueness, besides, the images on the wall will be able to hide its flaws or, on the contrary, emphasize its advantages. And drawing on the wall is a great way to design an apron.
Techniques and methods for beginners, amateurs and pros
Ways of painting walls can be a lot.
- Art painting with brushes and paints (by hand) - large and complex drawings such as frescoes, portraits, landscapes, etc. it is better to entrust professional artists, and simple and graphic images can be drawn with their own hands without having serious skills;
- Airbrushing is a technique that requires experience and skills, but with the help of a stencil, anyone who wants can paint an airbrush on the wall (scroll the photo to the right);
- Drawing with chalk and lettering on a slate or chalkboard wallpaper - lettering also needs to be learned, but still not very complicated inscriptions can be mastered by the beginner;
- Drawing with the help of stencils, scotch and stamps - with the help of stencils you can make beautiful inscriptions, and not too detailed images, without knowing how to draw at all. The same can be said about stamps. The main thing here is accuracy, desire and the right choice of the drawing;
- Decoupage - this technique is also subject to everyone.
Of course, before starting work, the walls need to be prepared: to level as much as possible and to finish with non-woven wallpaper for painting, or to prime and plaster well. And, of course, the surface must be clean, dry and free from grease.
Before decorating the wall, it is better to additionally process it with a special acrylic primer for painting, then the surface will become more durable and it will be easier to paint.
Also, if necessary, prepare a stepladder, and cover the floor and furniture with foil.
Wall "painting" in the kitchen can be so different in genre, style and plot. The most relevant motifs are:
- Herbal theme - floral motifs, images of a blooming garden, trees, large buds can be both realistic and graphic, stylized as in the photo below.
Trees with birds and flowers - the idea is not new, but today is especially popular.
Separately, you can select another very popular theme for painting walls - the image of cherry blossoms.
- Surrealism, abstractionism, constructivism - suitable for kitchens in a modern style.
- Still lifes, rural landscapes, sea scenes, types of cozy old streets and realistic animals painted in the style of frescoes - a theme traditional to classic kitchens.
Perspective drawings can visually enlarge the space.
- Patterns and ornaments, such as Damascus as in the photo below, never go out of fashion. Since the patterns are usually repetitive elements, they can be drawn using stencils or stamps.
- Kitchen and culinary themes are images of mugs, spoons, forks, food, and more.
- Geometric shapes - cell, stripes, zigzags, waves and circles are easily drawn with their own hands using stencils, patterns, tape and building level.
If you do not have the skills, it is better to choose a medium-sized composition without complicated details.
So, the wall is ready, the picture is selected, now you need to choose paint.
- Acrylic paints, as well as water-based paints with colored colors, show themselves best in the kitchen, but they are a little worse in tolerating moisture and washing;
- For non-woven wallpaper for painting better fit latex paint;
- Oil paints are more suitable for drawing small parts of the picture, as they dry for a long time;
- Large elements of the image is easier to paint with an airbrush.
The steps to do it yourself on the wall are as follows:
- We are looking for an idea, the motive of the picture, suitable for the interior of the kitchen.
- We develop sketches and choose the final version of the future painting, print the image in color.
- We cover the walls with artistic acrylic primer (preferably).
- We transfer the drawing to the wall with a pencil, draw the entire composition in a linear fashion, focusing on the printed picture.
- We paint the image with paints, paint the local spots of the composition, work through the details.
- the painting is carried out according to the principle “from general to particular”;
- it is better to paint large parts of the picture immediately; the easiest way is to do an airbrush;
- contours can be drawn with a marker, and then covered with paints.
- We cover the finished painting with matt varnish. This step is optional, but desirable for imparting additional strength.
Drawing on stencils, templates and using stamps
In order to paint the walls in the kitchen, you can use stencils, templates, stamps or adhesive tape.
The simplest and easily accessible way to decorate walls with your own hands involves the use of stencils:
- with their help, you can both outline the contours (example in the photo below), and completely paint over the wall in the places of cutouts;
- stencils can be bought at the hardware store, their choice is now very diverse, and they are made of thick paper, special film or plastic;
- stencils can also be done easily with your own hands: you just need to print the picture, transfer its contours to the polyester film and cut the necessary holes with a stationery knife.
- stencils can be used on ordinary wallpaper - unless of course the image corresponds to a given interior style.
The process of creating a stencil pattern is as follows:
- The wall is marked with a pencil - stand out the places where the stencil will be located.
- The stencil is fixed so that there are no discontinuities. Store décor is often performed with a self-adhesive surface, and paper tape is used to secure homemade stencils.
- Paint is applied for several approaches. It is better to apply two thin layers - so the picture will be neater.
- It is better to apply the paint in circular motions (if with a brush) or with a slight pressure (if with foam tampons).
- To remove excess paint from the stencil, use a foam sponge.
- When the drawing is dry, it is covered with clear varnish on vinyl or acrylic base. This will make the drawing more durable and will not allow it to be smeared.
Stamps and templates are also a great way to quickly “paint” the kitchen walls with your own hands.
- Stamps are sold sometimes in hardware stores, they can also be ordered in specialized online stores. They cost about 500 rubles. The process is simple: you need to dissolve the acrylic paint in the tray (attached to the set) and dip a stamp in it, and then, making sure that the paint is distributed evenly, put a stamp on the wall. Additionally, you can draw contours, add interesting details. Keep in mind that it is better to first practice and test the application of the pattern.
- Patterns for painting walls can be made by hand from cardboard. In this master class, we suggest painting the walls with such a pattern.
In the photo below, the principle of working with an improvised cardboard template is shown on a blackboard for clarity.
- We print and enlarge the template to the desired size, transfer the drawing to a thick cardboard and cut it along the contour.
- Outline the pattern starting from the ceiling.
- Slightly shift the template and circle it again around the edges (Picture No. 3, 4, 5, 6).
- We take a flat (!) Artistic brush and begin to draw the contours from the inside of the drawing (photo No. 7,8).
And this is what the real wall painting process looks like.
Using special stickers
High-quality vinyl or mirror stickers perfectly preserve their decorative effect even in an unfavorable kitchen microclimate. They are unpretentious in the care and easy to stick, allowing you to implement the most daring design ideas. These stickers are sold as ready-made kits in many online stores. Try to choose pictures that combine in theme, style and color with the interior of your kitchen, as well as reflecting the interests of your family, your hobby, etc. The photo below presents interesting examples of such decor.
Decoupage on the wall of the kitchen - this is one of the ways to design, as spectacular as drawing. In order for the result of the decoupage to turn out to be of high quality, you need to start with preparing the walls - the less roughness there is on the walls, the smoother the pasted image will be.
Details decoupage necessarily coat with glue, then leave to dry. For gluing, the parts are applied exclusively on the wall, and then the elements are carefully ironed so that there are no wrinkles and bubbles. The last stage of the design of the image - it is varnish. It will protect the drawing from mechanical damage and make it moisture resistant.