Low ceilings with a height of 2.4-2.5 m are a characteristic feature of typical panel houses, which must be considered when planning renovations and kitchen design. In this material you will find 15 simple tricks that will help you visually increase the height of the kitchen, some tips on what you should not do, as well as a selection of 30 photos of real low kitchens.
15 design tricks
White walls + white ceiling
In general, the ceiling and walls must not be white, the main thing is that they should be of the same tone. This technique will erase the boundary between the surfaces, and as a result the kitchen will appear higher.
High kitchen with white facades in the upper cabinets
Headsets up to the ceiling itself can be completely white or only partially, namely in its upper part. So the facades of wall cabinets will merge with the ceiling and will not “cut” the walls horizontally. If the set is low, then the facades for the upper cabinets should be chosen to match the walls.
Rack or panel facades of the kitchen
Our goal is to bring as many vertical lines as possible into the interior. If you are creating a kitchen design from scratch, then we recommend choosing headsets with paneled, and better rack-like facades like in this photo.
Wallpaper / Vertical Striped Curtains
Vertical striped wallpaper creates the desired optical illusion, visually pulling the walls up. You can glue striped wallpaper on one accent wall or on all four at once. By the way, the canvas with this print is much easier to dock, and the seams between them are almost not noticeable.
- The truth is that striped wallpapers have drawbacks - they visually narrow the space, and therefore are contraindicated for narrow and elongated kitchens.
- Striped wallpapers look especially good in the interior of a classic kitchen, as, for example, in the photo below (scroll).
Wallpaper with vertical pattern
Not only striped wallpaper, but any wallpaper with vertical lines will work to increase the height of the kitchen. Images of trees stretching up plants or, say, vertically built repeating elements, if they do not increase, then they definitely will not lower the already low ceilings.
Rhombic wallpapers can also fool our eyesight so that the kitchen will appear higher. In this case, to narrow the space, in contrast to the striped wallpaper, they will not.
White wooden lining
Wall cladding white clapboard is popular in the Scandinavian countries, where ceilings in typical homes are often low. Adopt this technique, because the white color and vertical lines of the lining will work doubly effectively.
- White lining will fit into the interior of the kitchen in the style of country music, chebbi chic, Provence, and any other "rustic" style.
- By the way, lining or wooden slats will be good in facing the kitchen apron, especially if it is not as tall as in this kitchen-dining room in the photo below.
Two-level ceiling with illuminated central niche
Suspended ceiling designs for low kitchens are contraindicated, but a two-level ceiling with an illuminated niche can create the illusion of a high ceiling.
For example, in this classic kitchen, a niche in the ceiling mimics a stained glass window, and its lighting replaces a chandelier.
The "window" here is made of plexiglass. The moldings framing it - from polyurethane. And the ceiling itself is made of plasterboard.
See also our other materials:
- Approximately the same effect can be achieved by decorating a niche with a glossy stretch ceiling and incorporating LED lighting around the perimeter. The niche may be of any shape.
Dark colors, for example, dark blue, black, graphite, etc., have the property of visually distancing objects and surfaces. Thus, the floor, trimmed with dark tiles or dark wood, would seem to fall down and thereby increase the height of the kitchen.
- If you’ve already done the repair, you can just lay a dark carpet on the floor like on the bottom right photo. Of course, the coating should be short-nap.
Lighting with the direction of light up
One or two floor lamps and / or wall sconces, the light of which is directed upwards, will be enough to create the effect of a higher and "airy" space. And all because reflected from the ceiling and walls, the light will be distributed more evenly and will not create harsh shadows.
Floor to ceiling mirror
Not bad lift the ceilings and increase the space of large mirrors, especially in facing one or two walls of the kitchen. In the next photo slider you can see how the low kitchen-dining room in the panel house was transformed from two mirrors from floor to ceiling height.
Curtains to the floor
Curtains should pick up long, that is, concerning the floor or even lying on it as shown below in the photo. Suitable styles of curtains - collected in a uniform fold, panel (Japanese) or cotton (muslin).
It is desirable that the fabric had a vertical pattern, that is, all the same stripes, rhombuses, floral motifs, etc.
Whatever the curtains you choose, the curtain rail should be installed under the ceiling. The ideal choice is a roof rail.
Spotlights or ceiling lights instead of pendant
Suspended chandeliers in the kitchen with low ceilings will practically touch the heads of its inhabitants, visually overload the interior, shade even more and “lower” the ceiling itself. Dot and ceiling lights look, albeit not as elegantly as chandeliers, but they take up less space and create more pleasant and even lighting.
- For stretch ceilings, you need to use recessed spotlights, and for ordinary - overhead.
Small plinths to match the walls
Floor plinths should be chosen low, preferably in the tone of the walls or versatile white.
Wall decor with vertical orientation
Paintings, posters, panels or decorative plates can also contribute to an increase in the height of the kitchen. To do this, they need to hang slightly above eye level, as shown in the photo below or in a row vertically. It is also desirable that the wall decoration pattern contains vertical lines.
And a little about the mistakes that it is better not to make
The design of the kitchen with a low ceiling and has some limitations that you should know to avoid a mistake. Here is a small list of them:
- Suspended chandeliers, as already noted, will clutter the space and will simply interfere. The only place where the chandelier does not hurt - over the dining table. The lamp here can hang at a distance of 60 cm from the tabletop.
- Decorative ceiling beams - they make the ceiling heavier and attract too much attention to it.
- Unfortunately, stucco molding, especially with gilding, is good only on high ceilings, and on low ones it looks too alien and hard.
- Making the ceiling a shade darker than the walls is likely to lower its height somewhat, and painting in a dark color will lower it altogether, creating the feeling that the ceiling is pressing.
- Installation of suspended ceiling systems. Standard whitewashing and painting - the best way to finish a low ceiling. However, with a great desire, you can install a suspended ceiling, which, compared to other suspended systems, does not take too much height, namely 4-5 cm.
- The decoration of the walls with horizontal stripes, as well as the design of the window with curtains with a horizontal print, though will push the walls apart, but significantly lower the kitchen ceiling.