The function of pyrolysis greatly simplifies the life of housewives. It can be used to clean the oven without any effort and detergent. The process itself takes a lot of time, about 2 - 3 hours. The temperature inside the oven at the same time reaches 500 ° C, due to which there is a burnout of all organic pollutants. Let's take a closer look at what types of devices are found, what functions they have, and whether they should be purchased.
What is pyrolysis?
Pyrolysis is the name of cleaning the surface of oily deposits using high temperatures. Ovens equipped with this function can heat up to 500 ° C (and its individual parts up to 650 ° C). In contrast to catalytic cleaning, which extends only to the side and rear walls, during the pyrolysis all internal surfaces of the oven are cleaned. Such devices work only on electricity.
Ovens with a pyrolysis function have evolved significantly since their inception. At the very beginning, models were released in which there were 3 cleaning modes:
- Minimal - the fastest, for not too strong pollution. By the time it takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Normal - the most popular mode, suitable for medium-sized dirt. Duration - 2 h. 45 min.
- Intensive - for the most difficult cases, when a thick patina formed on the walls of the oven. It is the longest - 3 hours. 15 min.
The process itself is divided into the following stages:
- First, the oven is heated to a maximum temperature of 500 ° C (it takes less than an hour).
- From one to three hours maintained dialed temperature.
- Then the oven cools down.
Over time, manufacturers began to produce ovens, focusing on the different needs of consumers. Depending on how often the housewife uses this appliance, as well as what dishes they prefer to cook in it - vegetables or fatty meat, other cleaning modes have appeared. For example, the so-called "comfortable pyrolysis". It is more suitable for those who rarely use the oven and cooks in it, mainly, various vegetable dishes or pastries. The whole cleaning process is divided into two stages:
- The oven warms up to 230 ° C. At this temperature, the first 30 minutes is preliminary calcination.
- Then the temperature rises to 500 ° С, and more intensive cleaning begins, which lasts from one to three hours (depending on how heavily the oven is soiled).
In the future, ovens with the function of pyrolysis began to produce with a special catalytic filter, which contains an additional heating element. In such devices, the self-cleaning process is as follows:
- Preliminary firing
- Pyrolysis at maximum temperature. At the same time, the additional heating element is heated to 650 ° C. All organic contaminants that have accumulated in the filter burn.
- The self-cleaning process is completed after the filter has cooled slightly.
Devices equipped with a catalytic filter, designed to save electricity by quickly burning major pollutants.
There is another version of ovens that can significantly reduce power consumption during pyrolytic cleaning. Company Whirlpool produces devices that are equipped with the Sixth Sense sensor system. They capture the carbon dioxide that is released during the burning of fat and other organic pollutants, and monitor its concentration. As soon as the oven walls are cleaned, the amount of carbon dioxide decreases, and the appliance stops working. The process of pyrolysis in such models lasts as long as it is really necessary, without spending additional energy and time resources.
The process of self-cleaning in ovens with the function of pyrolysis is fully automatic. You do not need to spend a lot of time and effort on it. In order to start the process, you must perform the following steps:
- The oven must be completely free. Take out all the dishes from it. If your baking sheets and sliding lattices are made of heat-resistant material, you can leave them (you can find out this information by reading the instructions for the appliance, provided that the sliding parts were sold complete with the oven). So you do not have to spend extra time and cleaning products to clean these items.
- Inspect the walls of the oven and assess the degree of contamination. Select the desired cleaning mode, turn on the pyrolysis function. After some time, when the oven is heated to 300 ° C, the door will lock. This measure allows cleaning to be done safely, without the risk of getting burned.
- After the self-cleaning process is completed, when the temperature drops to 200 ° C, the door can be opened again.
- Wait a little. When the appliance has cooled down to a comfortable temperature, you can take a brush and brush the resulting ash from the bottom and sides of the oven. If the trays and grates were inside, wipe them with a dry cloth and remove them.
If the oven is used almost every day, then the pyrolysis function should be switched on at least once a week.
The models of ovens differ from each other by the presence of certain functions. Here are some of them:
- The appliance may have a catalytic filter, which starts automatically being cleaned every hundred hours of operation of the oven.
- The oven can be equipped with an electronic-sensor system, which itself assesses the degree of contamination and informs that the self-cleaning function should be turned on.
- There is a function "Help when cleaning." She equipped the oven with a digital display on the case. It will display detailed instructions for the pyrolysis process.
- A very convenient feature is the security system. It works, if you forgot to release the oven from dishes and other items before turning on the pyrolysis function. The digital display shows the corresponding inscription, and the cleaning will not start until you take out all the excess and start the pyrolysis again.
Such ovens are famous for their durability. Since the pyrolytic cleaning process is accompanied by very high temperatures, this type of oven is made of high-quality steel, and the walls and bottom inside the appliance are coated with heat-resistant enamel. Other materials from such extreme temperatures could be deformed.
The glass at the door of the cabinet is quite thick. It consists of 3 - 4 (depending on the model) hardened glass that can withstand strong heat. During the manufacture of the case, manufacturers take care of thermal insulation and equip such devices with a system for additional cooling of external walls, but still their temperature during pyrolytic cleaning can reach 100 ° C. Therefore, if you decide to use this function, make sure that children or your pets are not included in the kitchen.
Pyrolysis ovens are quite safe to use. They are equipped with sensors that monitor the temperature and amount of carbon monoxide. Since the fat is flammable, a system is provided in the ovens to prevent such situations. The door of the oven during the pyrolysis is blocked. All automation has been developed taking into account long-term operation at high temperatures.
Some models of ovens have special filters that absorb fat. They are located on the convector grille and are designed to protect the surface of the fan from contamination that may interfere with its operation.
The enamel, which covered the inner walls of the oven, is very smooth and durable. If you do not want to spend electricity, it can be cleaned using various detergents (which is not recommended for ovens with catalytic panels).
Such devices have their positive and negative sides.
- Ovens with pyrolysis function clean all internal surfaces very high quality. Such results are difficult to achieve by hand cleaning (especially in the most neglected cases). However, no effort on your part is required.
- The high quality of the materials from which these devices are made, ensures their durability.
- You can significantly save on detergents.
- For such ovens no replacement parts are needed.
Now let's deal with the minuses. Here is not so simple.
- During pyrolysis, all organic contaminants burn in the oven. In this case, the kitchen can spread a very unpleasant, acrid smell. Therefore, if you decide to use the self-cleaning function, be sure to turn on the hood and open the window wider. But you can do it differently - there is a special hole on the back of the oven. A pipe can be attached to it, the other end of which is led out into the vent. The smell of pyrolysis is not a mandatory phenomenon. Quite often, there are no unpleasant odors, because such devices are equipped with filters provided for air purification. Therefore, it is quite possible that you will not encounter this minus.
- The cost of ovens with pyrolysis function is quite high. A high-quality appliance with a catalytic type of cleaning can be purchased almost 2 times cheaper than an oven with pyrolysis of an average category. But here you can find the positive side. Such devices are very durable, and, moreover, they do not require any parts to be replaced over time. Filters that are installed in ovens, designed for the entire period of operation. They can be self-cleaning, and there is a version of removable models, which are periodically removed and washed manually. With the function of pyrolysis, you will significantly reduce the cost of various detergents that are needed to clean conventional ovens.
- Another disadvantage is that during the pyrolysis, energy consumption increases significantly. You can lower it by buying an oven with the “Sixth Sense” system, which was described above.
As you can see, the cons can be circumvented. And if you decide to purchase an oven with pyrolytic cleaning, you can be sure that this appliance will fully justify itself.